Tuesday, January 06, 2015

2015....A Year Of Change....

I can't believe it is 2015 already....

With a new year many changes start.  This year is no doubt going to be one of the hardest years that I have gone though likely ever.  However it is going to hopefully be the most rewarding in many ways.
I am scared for the changes, but only because there are going to be so many and it all seems so overwhelming if you sit there and analyze it.  But am I up for the changes? YOU BET!!

2014 ended with news that I now have yet another health problem.  I currently have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) also High Blood Pressure, oh and General Anxiety Disorder, and Major Depression now I found out that I have Diabetes as well.  Before I always did pride myself on being a pretty healthy bigger person.  Well let me tell you this year that has gone out the window.  It just goes to show you that if you let your health get out of control for any length of time health problems may not happen right away, but down the line it will most definitely catch up with you!!  Now I am having a problem with my heart beating too fast, I have a high RHR.  In a normal person your RHR (Resting Heart Rate) is supposed to be in between 60-100 BPM (Beats Per Minute).  Mine right now is averaging around 115-120 BPM. so I have a couple tests coming up for that.

So what am I doing????  Well first of all I have cut my portions back, I am also trying to cut out processed sugars.  The key word here is TRYING.  It is not always easy. I am also doing laps walking in my apartment.  It may not be a lot right now, but it is definitely better than what I was doing which was nothing. I am more determined than ever to get back into shape.  I also am doing a lot of research on PCOS and Diabetes and thinking that I am going to try a Low Carb/Low Glycemic Index meal plan.  Quite a few people who I have read about that have followed a Low Carb diet have had great success managing their PCOS symptoms.  The Low Glycemic Index foods will help with my blood sugars.

So what exactly is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? PCOS is one of the most common endocrine disorders among women. PCOS has a diverse range of causes that are not entirely understood, but there is evidence that it is largely a genetic disease
PCOS produces symptoms in approximately 5% to 10% of women of reproductive age (approximately 12 to 45 years old). It is thought to be one of the leading causes of female subfertility and the most frequent endocrine problem in women of reproductive age. Finding that the ovaries appear polycystic on ultrasound is common, but it is not an absolute requirement in all definitions of the disorder.

The most common immediate symptoms are anovulation, excess androgenic hormones, and insulin resistance. Anovulation results in irregular menstruationamenorrhea, and ovulation-related infertility. Hormone imbalance generally causes acneand hirsutism. Insulin resistance is associated with obesitytype 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol levelsThe symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly among those affected.

Source: Wikipedia

My main goal this year is to become healthier.  I want to get my PCOS under control and having the weight loss surgery is going to be the first step to becoming healthier.  When I can reduce my weight not only will my PCOS symptoms go away or lessen, I will hopefully get my Diabetes under control, and my High Blood Pressure will be under control as well as a lower Resting Heart Rate.

So here is to 2015!!

No comments: